Basement & Cellar Conversions

Basement & Cellar Damp Proofing

All structures that are partially earth retaining or fully below ground level are likely to be subject to some degree of water ingress during there life time.

By using the correct waterproofing system cellars and basements can be transformed into dry habitable living areas ie, utility rooms, offices and even bedrooms.

We strictly work to the BS 8102: 2009 code of practice for protection of below ground structures against water from the ground. we have been trained on this and provide credentials on request.

How do we make cellars/basements waterproof and usable?

For nearly every cellar/basement conversion the method of waterproofing is generically the same as we should always assume the area will suffer from some sort of water ingress in its life time from example a burst local water main, broken or damaged drains or severe long periods of wet weather.

hence why there should be a 2 type system of structural water proofing in place to deal with this.

Sheet membrane and a sump & pump system to direct water to an exciting drain or gravity fed (without pump) to a drain.

The electric powered pumps are located at the lowest point under the floor with access lid for servicing etc.

These pumps can have battery back up in the event of a power cut.

So with all of the above in place you will have the peace of mind that any water ingress will be dealt with and will not cause any problems.
These are the key things when getting basement water proofing done-       

  • What is the space being used for ?
  • How dry does it need to be ?
  • Site evaluation ,ground conditions
  • How wet is it or how wet is it likely to be ?
  • What forms of water proofing should be selected ?

Do you need planning permission to do a basement conversion ?

Converting an existing basement /cellar from a storage area to habitable space does not require planning permission .this will be covered by your home’s permitted development.

If however if there is walls being removed to create more space for example these wall may be structurally load bearing and this will need not only planning permission but a structural engineers involvement.